When it comes to heartburn, there is a lot of information out there. Here's a bit of history and other facts about heartburn based on scientific and historical research.
A little heartburn history
- The first written record of heartburn treatment dates back to the first century.
- The use of calcium carbonate to relieve heartburn has been traced back to the first century.
Who gets heartburn?
- 1 in 10 adults suffer from heartburn on a daily basis. (1)
- Children and infants can experience heartburn symptoms.
Heartburn & Pregnancy
- 40-80% of pregnant women will suffer from heartburn. (2)
- Heartburn is associated with increased severity of nausea and vomiting. Managing heartburn may decrease severity of these symptoms.
- Learn more about heartburn during pregnancy.
- TUMS brand is the number one selling antacid in North America.
- Approximately 94% of people link their heartburn symptoms to certain types of foods that cause heartburn.
- In the U.S., antacids are the most commonly used product for relieving heartburn symptoms.
(1) Isolauri, J, Laippala, P. Prevalence of symptoms suggestive of gastroesophageal reflux disease in an adult population. Ann Med 1995;27:67–70.
(2) The American Journal of Gastroenterology (2007) 102, 2395–2400; doi:10.1111/j.1572-0241.2007.01452