When it comes to heartburn, there is a lot of information out there. Here's a bit of history and other facts about heartburn based on scientific and historical research.
A little heartburn history
- The first written record of heartburn treatment dates back to the first century.
- The use of calcium carbonate to relieve heartburn has been traced back to the first century.
Who gets heartburn?
- Children and infants can experience heartburn symptoms.
Heartburn & Pregnancy
- 40-80% of pregnant women will suffer from heartburn. (1)
- Heartburn is associated with increased severity of nausea and vomiting. Managing heartburn may decrease severity of these symptoms.
- Learn more about heartburn during pregnancy.
- TUMS brand is the number one selling antacid in North America.
- In the U.S., antacids are the most commonly used product for relieving heartburn symptoms.
(1) The American Journal of Gastroenterology (2007) 102, 2395–2400; doi:10.1111/j.1572-0241.2007.01452