When it comes to heartburn, there's lot of information out there. Here's a bit of history and other facts based on real studies.
A little heartburn history
- The first written record of heartburn treatment dates back to the first century.
- We've been using calcium carbonate to relieve heartburn since the first century.
Who gets heartburn?
- 25 million adults suffer from heartburn on a daily basis.
- Experts estimate that 40% of adults experience heartburn monthly.
- Children and infants can experience heartburn symptoms.
- Up to 89% of heartburn sufferers experience heartburn at night.
Heartburn & Pregnancy
- 40-80% of pregnant women will suffer from heartburn.
- Heartburn is associated with increased severity of nausea and vomiting. Managing heartburn may decrease severity of these symptoms.
- TUMS is the number one selling antacid in North America.
- Approximately 94% of people link their heartburn symptoms to certain types of food.
- In the U.S., antacids are the most commonly used product for relieving heartburn symptoms.
- More than 46% of people taking a Proton Pump Inhibitor may experience occasional 'breakthrough heartburn'.